Online tutoring is now one of the best ways to earn income online, all thanks to technology. Suppose you are a teacher, a retired teacher, or knowledgeable about a particular field instead of letting the knowledge lie in your brain. In that case, you can convert it into money through online tutoring. However, most online jobs, especially those that pay high, usually demand you upload your certificates. In contrast, they are others that you can benefit from without having to upload your certificate.
The good thing about online tutoring is that it pays well and gives you the flexibility to do other things, while earning considerable income. Also, it gives you this sense of fulfillment, knowing that you are helping someone and inculcating knowledge and value into someone.
Here are Five (5) of the Best and Highest Paying Online Tutoring Platforms
Tutor.com offers online tutoring jobs for certified persons, such as adjuncts, teachers, Ph.D. students, professors, and industry professionals passionate about teaching.
Before becoming an online tutor here, you must pass through the application process, which entails taking an exam and passing a mock session.
If you pass both tests, you will undergo a background check, after which you will be accepted as an official tutor. Glassdoor gives this online tutoring platform a 3.4/5 star rating. The pay ranges from $10.50-$14 per hour
- Pro: It provides flexibility – you choose your own time to work, and you work remotely from the comfort of your home.
- Con: Some tutors have complained that the pay is little and needs to be upscaled.
To be accepted, you have to pass through the application process that entails filling out an application form, where you select the subjects you want to teach. When you are being accepted, TutorMe begins to send students your way. The good thing about this platform is that you get paid weekly.
- Pro: It offers a flexible schedule in which you determine your working hours. The platform interface is easy to navigate and use, and the pay is good.
- Con: The platform lacks enough publicity to draw in more students.
WyzAnt is a tutoring company that offers top-rated private tutors in over 250 subjects and test preps at affordable rates. It provides both on-site and online tutoring. You can decide to be an on-site or online tutor as tutor here.
The company charges $30-$60 per hour, and you are paid based on your experience and qualification. Glassdoor gives the company a 3.5/5 star rating.
- Pro: It offers excellent customer service and a flexible schedule that gives you the liberty to set your working hours. In addition, you get paid quickly as a tutor.
- Con: You will pay to have to pay the company a 25% commission for every payment you receive.
Preply is a leading platform in online tutoring that offers opportunities for online tutors all over the world to achieve their career goals. As an online tutor here, you can earn a whopping sum of $550 weekly, which is lovely.
The good thing here is that Preply is always actively looking for tutors for various subject areas, and you get to choose your schedule and payment plan.
- Pro: Preply is a great company to work with, and it offers excellent support and flexibility to its tutors. You have the liberty to work your way up to get many students, and you can work from home.
- Con: Preply collect a 100% commission fee for every new student’s first lesson payment. While for all subsequent lessons, it collects 18% to 33% of every payment, the commission to be received depends on the number of completed lesson hours you spend with your students.
Kaplan, Inc. is one of the top world’s largest education providers. It has over a million student base, with thousands of universities and businesses partnering with them through test preparation, English-language training, professional education, higher education, and university preparation offerings.
Kaplan is very strict in the application process. Before you are accepted here, you must possess a degree and previous tutoring experience in the subject you are applying for. Depending on the discipline, you can earn between $17-$38 per hour.
Glassdoor.com rated Kaplan a 4.6/5 star rating.
- Pro: It offers excellent support and training.
- Con: Not all work is done online, and you may have to meet your student
What Do I Need to Tutor Online?
To become an online tutor, you don’t need much. The things you need are:
- Reliable internet connection
- Webcam (for some subjects)
- Proficient knowledge of a specific subject.
Do I Need a Degree to Become an Online Tutor?
Not all online tutoring platforms demand that you have a degree. However, if you really want to make good money and build a career from online tutoring, you need a degree. The higher your degree, the more money you get paid, and the more authority you command.
How Much Can I Make Money as an Online Tutor?
The amount you can earn is dependent on the platform you are using and your level of degree. Some platforms pay more than others, and most platforms pay according to your qualification. Averagely you should make $10 to $50 an hour.
Alternative Ways to Make Money as an Online Tutor
As an online tutor or retired teacher, please do not throw off your lesson plans, for they can still be profitable. They are platforms where you can sell your lesson plans to help other teachers and students. Examples of such platforms include Teachers Pay Teachers, Miss Kindergarten, Amazon, and Moffat Girls.
Online tutoring is here to stay. Education is gradually moving to the online space, and now is the best time to take advantage of this opportunity. Go through the above platforms, and check the one that suits you better and is allowed in your state or nation.